Here are some questions we are often asked. Please contact us if you have any other questions regarding any of our services and we will endeavour to answer you as quickly as possible.
Yes we equip every one of our bikes with Garmin GPS units. They are free of charge (there is a fee to pay if you lose one). If you are on one of our guided tours, then we will load up suggested routes for you to use as a guide to get between the night's accommodation. The Garmin units are easy to use and can show the nearest cafes, fuel stops etc as you ride along your journey.
We try and accommodate everyone so that you can maximise your holiday experience. Generally, motorbikes are rented out on a 24-hour basis. Ideally, if you fly in as early as possible and fly out as late as possible, then you can maximise the amount of riding you do in Tasmania without additional Hotel charges. Saying that, if you wanted to extend the beginning or end of your riding Holiday with additional days in or near Hobart, then we can help with arranging these dates. Please remember that Tasmania is a small Island and accommodation can fill up quickly (especially in/around Dec/January). Booking ahead can save you money on flights and we recommend you look into your flights as soon as possible.
We do have limited supply of riding gear, but as you can imagine, for a small company, its impossible to have every size of everything in stock. Ideally pack all the motorcycle gear you normally ride whilst at home, plus the clothes you will wear in the evenings when not on the bikes. When you pick up the bike, we can safely store your luggage and you can repack your clothes into the luggage on the bikes.
- 4 Tasmanian Virgins On Tour. 10-day 9-night self-guided tour of Tasmania for 4, on 2 Triumphs Tiger 800's. Brilliant! Phil runs a great business & took great care of us. The Tigers in my view are ideally suited to Tasmanian conditions. The weather was kind to us, the roads are excellent for motorcycling & so much more traffic free compared to Brisbane where I live, the food is excellent, particularly the seafood, the people are friendly & engaging & the public dunnies are generally clean & well maintained. Highlights: The Gorden Dam Road, Stanley & Marlies cafe, the Gordon River cruise & Sara Island & Port Arthur. Would I return? YES! Would I make use of Phil's business again? Yes! After all he is a Triumph man. Cheers Des G.Des G05-11-2023I have nothing but positive things to say about my experience using TMTR's services. The team here are very accommodating, even to work with you on the logistics of drop off and pick up, fortunately in my case I had local friends helping me out but had that not been the case Phil was willing to pick me up or organise bike pick up from the airport. The bike itself was a dream to ride and extremely well maintained. I will be using their services again and highly recommend using them to anyone reading!Anton Jukic28-10-2023Only Positives We've rented with TMTR previously and are yet to have something bad to write about, even the weather was perfect during our October 2023 5-day clockwise lap. TMTR have a large range of bikes, perfectly set up with luggage and a Garmin XT GPS. For this experience we settled for a BMW R1250GS Rally each, one low suspension for my low suspension wife and a normal one for me. The trip started well with Phil picking us up from our hotel, we could leave all our non-riding stuff at TMTR, and ended with Phil dropping us off at the airport. We've ridden a lot of the world and Tassie is up there as our favourite place; the riding and the scenery and the accommodation, food, and beverages are simply the best. TMTR allows us to get amongst it without shipping our bikes over, can't thank them enough.Duncan B20-10-2023
- 10 Day Self Guided Tour 7 of us from New Zealand hired 5 bikes from Phil for a 10 day self guided tour of Tasmania. From our first contact in August 2022 to determine when 5 suitable bikes would be available, until our drop off at our Hobart accommodation the whole process was easy and straight forward. Phil asked us some questions to determine our likes and dislikes and he ended up providing us with a really detailed printed itinerary offering plenty of dining and attractions advice along with important stuff like “fuel up here”. Alongside the printed itinerary was a daily map and each bike had a GPS unit preprogrammed with the attractions and our each nights stays. We left the accommodation up to Phil to book and they were all of a high standard, and close to, or incorporating a restaurant. Any questions or problems we had, Phil was only a phone call away to help us out. Tasmania has some of the best motorcycling roads I have ridden on and even the rain couldn’t reduce the smiles we all had. Can’t say enough about how much we all enjoyed riding in Tasmania. Thanks Phil for your work and enthusiasm for Tasmania, which helped make our trip remarkable. GeoffGeoff a18-04-2023The Ideal Bucket List Bike Ride. For me, this was a Bucket List trip.Phil picked us up from our hotel in Hobart and it was off to his place for the mandatory paperwork and also a review of his recommended route and how the GPS works. The GPS made it so easy.On the bikes for the start of 5 days on the road. Saw some amazing scenery, so many contrasts across the island.Two fine days, and three half wet/dry. As good as you would expect.I was having some trouble with the clutch lever adjustment but Phil had a contact in Launceston who sorted it out in a minute and I was happy again.Accommodation was between amazing and OK, depending what was available in that town.Had a great time, price was reasonable, would recommend it to anyone.Peter C29-03-2023
- Solo Self guided tour I Hired a Beautiful BMW 1250 GSA from Phil I was flying Solo and had no real plans. Phil showed me some great places on his large wall map and also gave me a 5 day self guided tour map. I got instructions on how to operate all the great features on the bike. Like heated grips and seat 🙂 . I rode 1631km in 4 days. and saw so much. I visited chocolate factory's, winery's, cheese places, distillery's and anywhere else that I saw as i rode along that caught my eye. The bike was amazing to ride and Phil was super easy to deal with.Simon G21-03-2023Tassie Motorcycle trip A large group of us from NSW flew down to Tassie and rented bikes from Phil at TMTR. Although I wasn’t the trip organiser I found the whole process seamless. Phil communicated with the organiser extremely well, picked us up from our accomodation, walked us through the rental process, fees and insurance details and of course the bikes themselves. All of the bikes we rented, 12 in total were all pretty new with low kms and were mechanically A1. He provided GPS which were accurate and well programmed. You literally pressed favourites and a list of interesting destinations came up making navigation around Tassie incredibly easy. The roads around Tassie are MADE for bikes, great straights, sweeping bends looking over majestic scenery, mountains , fields, forests and crystal clear bays and of course hairpin bends to keep it all interesting and test out your skills! The towns and attractions you pass through have something for everyone, great food, pubs, wineries, boutique food and arts and crafts. Along with the incredible history of Tasmania and stunning National parks and natural attractions you will love this place. Combine it with Motorbikes and mates and you will be hard pressed to have a better holiday.At the end of the ride we simply returned the bikes and once again Phil drove us back to our Hobart accomodation. All in all a cracker of a week!Jaime H19-03-2023Tasmania Self Guided Tour I rented a bike from Phil at TMTR in February. He organised an 8 day self-guided trip for me on a Tiger 800XCX, which was in very good condition. Great roads and scenery...and so little traffic. Phil provided me with sat nav, comprehensive route notes and suggestions for sightseeing, bars/restaurants etc I would definitely recommend renting from TMTR and riding in Tasmania.Guy C15-03-2023
- Trip of a lifetime From A-Z this was a great trip. The only thing that wasn't under Phil's calm control was the weather. A couple of phone chats for him to get an idea of what to propose as an itinerary, easy transaction, and my bespoke tour was created. Phil's flexilbity with colletion/drop off at the airport removes one extra hassle, and leads to a really chill start of a fantastic motorcycle tour. The range of bikes is excellent, and they really are in top notch condition, as is the range of luggage and clothing available as well.The tour was great, lots of options, lots of suggestions, Phil obviously has a wealth of local knowledge and local connections, and was able to come up with altnernatives off the top of his head.I absolutely 100% recommend. I only did four days, and I wish I did four weeks. Tasmania is incredible, and when I come back (not if), I will be a repeat customer for sure.Dan12-03-2023Superb. Thrilling. And on mouthwatering bikes! There are a couple of motorcycle hire businesses in Tasmania, but I'd bet none are as brilliant as Phil Ogden's Tasmanian Motorcycle Tours & Rentals. From our initial communication, to when we booked then had to cancel our original Tassie trip due to COVID lockdowns, to when we re-booked and this time made it to the island, every interaction was highly professional, surpassing our expectations. Phil was accessible, informative, patient, and generous. The motorcycles on offer are the best I've ridden, likely the best you'll find anywhere, including the king of adventure bikes: BMW's 1250 GS Rallye - a monster you can hire and ride once you stop drooling. Phil offers motorcycle gear like helmets, jackets, wet weather gear and more. His service is hard to fault... and then there's the island itself. Honestly, hire one of TMTR's bikes, take Phil's advice on potential routes and accommodation, and enjoy some of the best roads on the planet on some of its best bikes. Just do it.Martin C08-03-2023Booked a motorcycle through TMTR for use at a work event in Hobart in February 2023, where the motorcycle was utilised as a first response vehicle for the event paramedic. We explained to Phil the intended use and types of equipment that would need to be carried, and he provided us with a choice of several appropriate motorcycles for the event with a variety of luggage options. The booking process was easy and well explained, with Phil being easily contactable and happy to chat over the phone to answer any questions. Pickup and drop off was also easy. The owner is an avid rider himself, so is also happy to provide local information and tips for those that aren’t familiar with Tasmania. Overall a very easy booking process. I would happily recommend TMTR for both personal and business hire.Lewis Russell28-02-2023
- 8 Day Tour of Tassie My mate and I decided to do an 8 day hire/tour of Tassie and elected to fly in/fly out and hire the beautiful 1250GS motorcycles from Phil at TMTR. The bikes and service offered by Phil were excellent, and the trip went without a hitch.We are both from Sydney and the ease of flying to Hobart, being picked up by Phil and returned at the end of the hire period was excellent and made the trip far less stressful and enjoyable. The entire hire bike arrangement and friendly pre trip planning advice was much appreciated. Thanks Phil.Mark B23-02-2023
- Booked a motorcycle through TMTR for use at a work event in Hobart in February 2023, where the motorcycle was utilised as a first response vehicle for the event paramedic. We explained to Phil the intended use and types of equipment that would need to be carried, and he provided us with a choice of several appropriate motorcycles for the event with a variety of luggage options. The booking process was easy and well explained, with Phil being easily contactable and happy to chat over the phone to answer any questions. Pickup and drop off was also easy. The owner is an avid rider himself, so is also happy to provide local information and tips for those that aren’t familiar with Tasmania. Overall a very easy booking process. I would happily recommend TMTR for both personal and business hire.Lewis Russell18-02-2023